Oxfam’s 2016 report on emergency food security and livelihood needs assessment for host community and South Sudanese refugee response in Arua and Yumbe districts highlighted poverty as key challenges in refugee settlements: communities reported only a meal a day per household; no cash crops grown and programmes helping refugees to get out of poverty. Similarly, inter-agency report on Rapid Assessment for Markets in Bidibidi Refugee settlement (2016), highlighted that refugee youth are looking for opportunities to supplement income, help support their families, start small businesses and income generating activities. Additionally, the targeted youths have limited entrepreneurial and vocational skills, community-connections and start-up capital.
TUNADO in partnership with Oxfam Uganda, have embarked on a project “Apiculture skilling for youths from refugee and host communities in Arua District”.This project is funded by Enabel under the Skills Development Facility. The Specific objectives of the project are;
- To equip 350 refugee and host community youth (210 female and 140 male) in Arua district with life, employable and entrepreneurship skills for sustained livelihood in apiculture.
- To support creation of 25 apiculture related Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) for refugee youth and host communities and link MSMEs to market.
Project duration and targeted beneficiaries
The project duration is nine months and started in April 2018 and is expected to end in December 2018. The project targets to work with 350 refugee and host community youth (210 female and 140 male). 70% of the entire 350 will be refugees and the remaining host communities.
Specifically, the project intends to build the capacity of the 350 youth with skills along the honey value chain through; a)The use of work based and mobile on-site training (ATPs)-skilling- R & HC b)Training in Entrepreneurship c) Training in Business-development d) Provision of Life skills-mentoring-coaching network e) Gender Action Learning System-GALS) f) Facilitate Market linkages f) issue of workers’ PAS (DIT) to trainees and facilitate community-connections and linkages to existing networks.
- Skilling 105 trainees along the VC in :apairy establishment, colonisation, harvesting, post-harvest handling and beeswax extraction
- Training in hive making for 30 trainees
- Training in protective gear for 30 Trainees
- Training in making smoker for 20 Trainees
- Skilling in value addition(Beeswax soap-30 trainees ,Decorative candles: 20 trainees,Beeswax shoe polish: 30 trainees,Propolis tincture: 25 trainees ,Honey cookies: 30 trainees and bees wax jelly. 30 trainees
- Training in entrepreneurship /access to market (350 trainees)
- Training in life skills-GALS
- Provide starter kits to the youth to enable them start MSMEs in apiculture (this will be done after the innovation challenge where the winners in every category will be awarded with startup kits)
For further information, contact:
The Uganda National Apiculture Development organisation (TUNADO)
Plot 76, Buganda Road, Kampala
P.O. Box: 8680
Contact telephone: Office: +256 414 258070/ Mobile: +256 782 891933
Plot No. 3459, Tank Hill Rd, Muyenga, Kampala, Uganda
P.O. Box: 6228
Contact telephone Office: +256 414 390500/ Mobile: +256 758 677 861