NARO CGS Apiculture Project
National Agricultural Research Organisation Competitive Grant Scheme (NARO – CGS)
The Uganda National Apiculture Development Organization TUNADO is implementing a one year project “Development and Commercialization of Bee Products in Uganda”under NARO CGS programme cohort IV. Rwebitaba ZARDI is the project host and is implemented in a consortium of 8 partners (Makerere University, TUNADO, Ministry of Agriculture Animal Industry & Fisheries, Four zonal agricultural research institutes (Rwebitaba in Kabarole, Nabuin in Moroto, Abi in Arua & Bulindi in Hoima) and National agricultural Livestock Research Institute .
The overall objective of the project is to develop and commercialize bee products in Uganda.
Specific objectives of the project
• To develop bee products (honey, bees wax, propolis and bee venom) to acceptable standards.
• To skill rural communities to add value to bee products
• To develop consistent marketing plan and linkages for bee products
• To capacitate communities with entrepreneurship skills to run their apiculture enterprises as profit making businesses
• To synthesize, package and disseminate information on the innovative tools and technologies for adding value to honey.
1. At least four bee products developed
2. At least 500 beekeepers and other actors skilled in adding value to bee products and by products of their choice
3. At least a sustainable marketing model for bee products established
4. At least 500 beekeepers received entrepreneurship skills to run apiculture enterprises as profit making businesses
5. All generated information on the innovative tools and technologies for promoting apiculture in Uganda synthesised, packaged and disseminated